Pete Complete

At long last, the Pete Jones Memorial Whole-Hog Barbecue Pit is finished! Isn't that a cute little pig on the front?


The tin roof tilts back easily. I did manage to spring load it a little but I have to be mindful of the Air Bellows winds of up to 70mph in the winter.


The top of the pit is covered by removable lids, also constructed of tin roofing.


The lids are 8 inches above the meat rack.


The rack is made of 5/8-inch square bars, on 6-inch centers, held by a frame constructed of bed frames, naturally.


The rack, positioned 16 inches above the floor, can be lifted from the pit with pig intact by the handles on either end.


The floor is lined with bricks laid on top of clay. I've already begun adding extra coals from Sid just to encouraging the thing to start smelling like a barbecue pit rather than a construction site.

Now if only it will actually cook a pig worth a tinker's damn I'll be a happy camper!

Comments

Popular Posts