Riding My Motorcycle

Well, it seems that legally I own a Gator 150 motorcycle rather than a motor scooter. (A scooter has 50 cc or less displacement.) That means in addition to tags, title and insurance, the machine requires an NC DMV motorcycle safety inspection and a motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license. Figuring out the logistics of how to do that legally is pretty complicated. Here's how it goes:

  • I drive the Jeep into town and get a motorcycle learner's permit at the DMV office behind the courthouse.

  • I drive back home in the Jeep and ride the motor scooter back into town and get a safety inspection sticker at City Body in Sparta.

  • I study a 46-page Motorcyclist's Handbook.

  • I drive down the mountain to the DMV office in Elkin or through the mountains to samesaid office in West Jefferson on a Tuesday or a Thursday to take the written test. (It isn't given in Sparta.)

  • After passing the written test, I take the motorcycle driver's test

  • After passing the driver's test, I receive the motorcycle endorsement on my NC driver's license.

  • I drive back up or over the mountains to Air Bellows.

    Hmmm. That's a ride I had not planned on taking so soon.
  • Comments

    Popular Posts