Ribs Revisited
I have injured my bruised ribs again and they hurt just as bad as they did the first time around. Here's the story.
My left hand has regained sufficient strength to operate the clutch lever on Buster and the rear brake lever on Big Alli. So it was that I decided on Saturday to see if either machine would crank after their involuntary layoff.
Now, Buster has a built-in fuel injection system for starting. Just turn on the ignition and a little pump whirres until an indicator light goes out and then you hit the start button. Buster roared to life instantly on the very first revolution of the crankshaft.
Big Alli, like a Ford on a cold morning, was a little more reticent to start. But, after a couple of sessions, Big Alli sputtered to life, wheezed for a few minutes and then decided life was good after all.
They say that when the horse bucks you off, you must get back in the saddle and regain control of the beast and yourself. Buster was out of the question for this exercise as the gear shifter is bent and will not function. So, it was Big Alli that I took for a careful spin around the neighborhood. After ten minutes I arrived back home safe and sound.
On Sunday morning I cleaned the house. Don't ask me why. No one was coming to visit. But I cleaned it and apparently stirred up some dust. And, that's when I sneezed. My ribs would have hurt less if someone had stabbed me with a Bowie knife. I couldn't sit. I couldn't lay down. All I could do was stand motionless and breath shallowly.
After the pain medication began to work I was able to rest on the sofa. Then my neighbor called to say that the white Jeep Wrangler that hit Murphy was back in the neighborhood. So, I loaded up the dogs in the Jeep and went in search of the hit-and-run vehicle.
And, that's when I sneezed ... again. This time I stopped in the middle of Air Bellows Gap Road, gasping for breath. After what seemed an eternity, I drove home at 5 mph, loaded up on Nasonex, and resigned myself to a rib redux.
Bummer.
My left hand has regained sufficient strength to operate the clutch lever on Buster and the rear brake lever on Big Alli. So it was that I decided on Saturday to see if either machine would crank after their involuntary layoff.
Now, Buster has a built-in fuel injection system for starting. Just turn on the ignition and a little pump whirres until an indicator light goes out and then you hit the start button. Buster roared to life instantly on the very first revolution of the crankshaft.
Big Alli, like a Ford on a cold morning, was a little more reticent to start. But, after a couple of sessions, Big Alli sputtered to life, wheezed for a few minutes and then decided life was good after all.
They say that when the horse bucks you off, you must get back in the saddle and regain control of the beast and yourself. Buster was out of the question for this exercise as the gear shifter is bent and will not function. So, it was Big Alli that I took for a careful spin around the neighborhood. After ten minutes I arrived back home safe and sound.
On Sunday morning I cleaned the house. Don't ask me why. No one was coming to visit. But I cleaned it and apparently stirred up some dust. And, that's when I sneezed. My ribs would have hurt less if someone had stabbed me with a Bowie knife. I couldn't sit. I couldn't lay down. All I could do was stand motionless and breath shallowly.
After the pain medication began to work I was able to rest on the sofa. Then my neighbor called to say that the white Jeep Wrangler that hit Murphy was back in the neighborhood. So, I loaded up the dogs in the Jeep and went in search of the hit-and-run vehicle.
And, that's when I sneezed ... again. This time I stopped in the middle of Air Bellows Gap Road, gasping for breath. After what seemed an eternity, I drove home at 5 mph, loaded up on Nasonex, and resigned myself to a rib redux.
Bummer.

Comments
Post a Comment